About Me

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sweet and salty.
Two very different tastes when you eat them alone...but try combining them! Kind of like sea salt on top of truffles...peanut butter with strawberries....delish : ) Like how we always put salt in sweet baked goods - the salt contrasts with the sugar and brings out flavor.
Yesterday I made sweet potato fries, tossing them in olive oil with a bunch of freshly ground spices and S&P. They were so good. When the potatoes carmelized cooking...they melted into their spices creating this mix of salty and sweet...tremendous.
So. back to the blog. I have been, er, rather busy lately, so have just had time to update. A few days ago I made 3 recipes out of my cookbook -
Beet Salad with Red Beet Reduction, Walnut Chutney, Arugula, and Horseradish
Homemade Garlic Tortillas with Tofu Scrambled Eggs, Roasted Seven-Tomato Salsa, and Fresh Guacamole
Lemon Cheesecake with Mixed Berries

They're not all this convoluted - hopefully.
The beet salad was, well ...complicated, if you didn't already figure that out by the title. It was just a very big mess of beet juice everywhere and bowls and bowls and BOWLS! I've never used so many dishes in my life. I loved making the breakfast burrito things - they were really super, only I put too much turmeric in the eggs, so they were kind of electric-yellow. : P I'd post some pictures but currently the camera is hiding.

Oh, and by the way? The only ketchup I eat now is from NYC. It has AGAVE NECTAR in it.

Happy eats!

~Jen

4 comments:

  1. Fun idea and interesting recipes!
    I hate to burst your bubble about agave nectar, but I think you might want to know that it's not as healthy as they would like us to believe. I've heard that it's practically on the same plane as high fructose corn syrup - since it is fructose and it is heated to higher temps. I know that doesn't tell you much, but google "agave nectar dr. Mercola" and you've have an interesting read. I was super sad to find that out, but you know, it goes to show that the closer to nature a food is, the better it is for us.
    Good luck with your blog and happy cooking!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...that is really interesting. do you think it is better or worse than white sugar?

    thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a tough question... :D I, personally, rate them about the same. They both cause insulin resistance and mess up the metabolism.
    At this point in my research, I'd say our healthiest choices for sweeteners are raw honey, stevia and rapadura. (Whole and dried fruits are good options as well.) But even these can cause health problems when over used.
    Why must we all love sweets? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Thanks for the info and the contribution to our knowledge, striving after health and wellness!
    I have looked into it before, just at a very basic level. This link
    http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2009/07/rapadura-sucanat-muscavado-turbinado.html
    does not address agave nectar, but it gave me info on rapadura which I had not come in contact with before. I'm a follower now!
    Well, I don't know about you, but I only love the "sweetest sweets"; as in, the ones that love me back. ;)

    ReplyDelete